3.12.2006

art attack: biennial edition...

fredeeky loves the art attacks and feels that little birdie is making us all smarter by sharing the contents of her brainal cord with the rest of us. love it when readers share the expertise with the blizzy. love sharing in general. speaking of which, we're all looking for an upper east side report soon.



It's been so long since I did an Art Attack! Here's the scoop on the Biennial: The Whitney is The Whitney Museum of American Art, but they are pretty loose about the "American-ness" and included foreign born artists living here and American born artists living abroad. I don't think it matters as much as it once did.

In 2004 the show was up-beat and included a lot of young artists that are now highly popular, like the amazing Corey Archangel who has a blog here. Look here for when he hacked into Atari Games.

This year's show is much darker. The title is "Day for Night", which is the name of a French Noir film by Truffaut from 1973. The French title is "La nuit americaine" that literally translates to The American Night. It's a film about making a film (art about art).

Here are some highlights, but as I was looking at the site I realized that I liked more than I originally thought.



1) Richard Serra's "Stop Bush" Abu Gharib prisoner drawing from 2004 - You'll remember he stated that this was not a work of art, but a protest.



2) Troy Brauntuch's series of untitled white crayon on black canvas drawings - This was my favorite thing in the show.



3) Mark Grotjohn's paintings: This is a hot young artist who will get bigger and bigger.



4) Lisa Lapinski's sculpture - I liked the caning and thought this was striking.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I really love the art attack, esp since some of this art baffles me and I trust a little birdie to direct me.

5:49 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home