5.22.2006

holy crap, it's a hipster report...

thanks to high life, a loyal reader and fredeeky's attorney...



Figured I would fire off a short one before I leave for Kansas City [note number of songs that could be referenced here] to keep the readers placated. Nothing much new these days, but two bands that are sharing a bill Monday night at the Mercury Lounge deserve a mention. I am guessing the place clears out after Sunset Rubdown - once again, hyped bands opening for a mildly successful, not that awesome rock band. (for those keeping tabs Frog Eyes is headlining with Sunset Rubdown and Beirut opening)



Beirut - Gulag Orkestar - this album is probably a little out there for most of our readers, but really worth the effort. If Stephin Merritt and Ennio Morricone made an album together it would sound something like this. Checkout Postcards From Italy, which is clearly the highlight. This guy is 19, played almost everything on the album himself (trumpet included), and Jeremey Barnes of NMH plays drums here and there. Give Postcards a few spins and you will come around to its Spaghetti Western brilliance. Blondie!!!!!!!



Sunset Rubdown - terrible band name aside, this album is pretty awesome. As mentioned all over the internets, this is Spencer Krug of Wolf Parade's "other band" and that is exactly what it sounds like. His lyrics are kind of terrible at times, but really grow on me. I think this would be awesome live.



And something for the masses from the vault. I busted out one of my all time favorites this weekend - Violent Femmes/Violent Femmes. This album never gets old. As a sixth grader I can still remember rocking out to Add It Up at summer camp. So fucking good. Throw this on and turn it up. Never has an acoustic guitar sounded so brutal. How this never made it onto my ipod is beyond me (although I did have three other VF albums on there...)

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

You could drop some Ron Sexsmith into the mix of Stephin Merritt and Ennio Morricone.

7:04 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home